If your plan to get a perfectly flat stomach has been restricted by mostly Netflix and pizza consumption, it's time to revamp your fitness routine.
Reaching your goal of having abs you can spend hours staring at in the mirror may sound impossible, but with the right exercises, determination, and maybe a few salads here and there, that perfect belly is totally within reach.
Don't worry about dragging yourself to the gym; we've got you covered with these 5 best at-home exercises for getting that flattest of bellies.
How to Lose Belly Fat?
Losing belly fat can seem like a twisted task, but there are specific ways to lose it and get a fantastic body shape.
Eat a Healthy Diet
Shedding belly fat can be a challenging task, and one of the best tires to do it is to make sure you’re eating the right foods. Forget the burgers and fries; focus on fruits, veggies, whole grains, lean protein, and low-fat dairy products. With that, make sure to portion your meals, and it’s okay if you want seconds (or thirds), but try not to overdo it.
Cut Out Sugary Drinks
Drinks that may seem refreshing at the moment can add up when it comes to calories, packing plenty of added sugar that your body doesn't need. Even worse, many of these drinks contain "empty calories," meaning they provide no nutrients — just an increased likelihood of gaining weight around your midsection.
Last but certainly not least - find a way to stay active. Add exercise to your daily routine by trying something new, like yoga or Pilates. This will help you lose those extra inches around your waistline, and you might just fall in love with how it makes you feel.
The Role of Nutrition
Nutrition is one of the most important factors in slimming down - especially those belly fat deposits. Eating a diet low in processed sugars and carbs and high in healthy fats and complex carbohydrates can reduce levels of belly fat over time.
Focus on eating plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, which are full of essential vitamins, minerals, and fiber, to help aid your dietary efforts. It's also important to pay close attention to portion control when it comes to our food intake - this will not only help prevent those pesky post-meal food comas but might also help you get rid of that excess belly fat.
Finally, add a daily green tea or yogurt with probiotics to your nutrition plan; these may contribute to reduced levels of abdominal fat. So let's get going on that healthier lifestyle, and maybe you'll finally have the flat stomach you've been dreaming about.
5 Best At-Home Exercises for a Toned Body
Here are the five best at-home exercises to get you that spiced-up body you’ve been peeking at through the gym windows for a long time.
1. Side Planks
The plank is like a timeless classic or an oldie but goodie; it's been and will likely remain part of our exercise routine forever. Not only does it make your posture perfect and improve body alignment, it can also improve your overall health.
And if you want to kick things up a notch, side planks are the way to go - this variation of planks helps build oblique strength and makes those abs pop. To perform it:
- Start by lying on the mat on your side with your legs straight.
- Prop yourself up on your elbow, keeping your hand close to your chest.
- Raise your hips off the ground, aligning your body to form a straight line from your shoulders to your ankles.
- Hold this position for 30 seconds to 1 minute, then lower back down and repeat on the other side.
- If this is too difficult, you can modify the exercise by placing your knees on the ground.
2. Jump Squat
Jump squats have become popular in the toning world because of their effective and efficient results. These burpee-style exercises can give you a tight, toned body in no time.
Not only do they target your glutes, hamstrings, quads, and calves, but with proper form, you can also target several of your core muscles for added strength. To perform it:
- Stand with feet shoulder-width apart, and knees bent slightly.
- Bend your knees some more and lower yourself to a full squat position (like you are sitting in a chair)
- Engaging the quads, glutes, and hamstrings pull the body up and off the floor, in a jumping manner.
- With the legs fully extended, the feet will go off the floor a few inches (or more).
- Describe and control your landing, and descend again into the squat position for another rep.
- When you land, immediately go for another jump
- Repeat as many times as you can.
3. Shoulder Taps
The shoulder tap exercise will work your shoulders and core. It will also make you build more total body stability to reduce your risk of low back injury. To perform it:
- Hold a plank position by having your hands under your shoulders and feet slightly wider than hips.
- Take one hand off the ground and tap the opposite side shoulder.
- Be sure to keep your legs locked out, butt squeezed and abs tight.
- Hold this position for 2 seconds before returning your hand to the ground and switching sides.
If you want a better way to develop a toned body, perform burpees. Many gym-goers have sworn by the effectiveness of this full-body exercise since it combines cardio, strength, and flexibility—all in one move. Burpee benefits include increased muscle density and improved cardiovascular health. To perform it:
- Start standing with your feet shoulder-width apart, crouch down, and place your hands on the floor below your shoulders.
- After that, bounce your feet behind you to straighten your legs, shifting your weight to your hands and shoulders.
- As you lower your upper body to the floor while performing a push-up with your chest in between your hands, bend your elbows.
- The bottom of the movement, which should coincide with the bottom of your pushup, is at this moment.
- Raise your upper body by pushing down with your hands from the bottom.
- Jump your legs underneath you at this point, landing with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- As you stand up, shift your weight back onto your legs and perform the upward phase of a squat.
- Jump up and clap your hands as you stand up.
- Return to the ground and immediately begin your next burpee by kneeling and placing your hands back on the floor.
Doing crunches may not be the most thrilling way to spend your time, but they are one of the most effective exercises for toning your abdominal muscles. You'll get a wide range of other benefits too.
Not only will they make you look better in that fateful beach selfie, but toned abs can also boost your physical performance and improve other aspects of health, like balance and core strength. To perform it:
- Lie on your back straight.
- Rest your feet on the floor, hip-width apart.
- Bend your knees at 35 degrees and place your arms across your chest.
- Contract your abdominal area and suck in.
- Breathe and lift your upper body, keeping your head and neck relaxed.
- Inhale and straighten your body
The Bottom Line
Getting a flat belly at home with absolute convenience can be a daunting task for people who hate going to a gym, so we have 5 exercises for you that can help you get a toned body at home, and that too with zero equipment.
Exercises like squats, burpees, farmer’s walks, crunches, and side planks are easy exercises that can shape your body for an easy start. One has to consider their nutritional intake and balanced diet to shed all the excess fat. Get the best body today in convenient and mindful ways.
- ROBERTS, CHRISTIAN K., et al. ‘Effects of Home-Based Exercise Training Systems, Combined with Diet, on Cardiometabolic Health’. International Journal of Exercise Science, vol. 12, no. 2, May 2019, pp. 871–85. PubMed Central, https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6533109/.