Working out doesn't require a gym full of equipment for killer results. Pecs can be built right home without worrying about accessing a bench press machine. You don't need to break out your wallet or drag a bulky piece of equipment into your home because plenty of options are available to target and build those chest muscles.
In this article, we'll show you five killer chest workouts to help you achieve the bigger chest gains you've been aiming for—best of all, none require a bench!
Keep reading to explore chest exercises ranging from resistance band push-ups to Svend press. Regardless of which is right for you, these chest exercises will pop your pecs in no time.
Killer Chest Exercises Without a Bench
If you’re looking for a way to build up those chest muscles without access to a weight bench, then you’ll be pleased to know plenty of chest exercises can be done in the comfort of your home. The trick is figuring out how to use alternate equipment, like dumbbells, to carry out one of the most basic chest exercises.
These exercises can be safely and effectively completed at home by relying on gravity instead of an elevated bench. Scroll down to find out the 5 killer chest exercises for bigger pecs without a bench!
1. Resistance Band Push-Ups
Resistance band push-ups offer an excellent chest workout without requiring a costly bench. During each rep, you push against the resistance band's tension, forcing your chest muscles to work harder than they would during a standard push-up. This results in a deeper chest contraction and greater chest activation.
Adding instability with the bands helps engage your core while increasing the range of motion compared to regular push-ups. For chest development, resistance band push-ups are an incredibly effective way of training without requiring special equipment.
How to Do It?
- To ensure a perfect fit, wrap the band around your back beneath your armpits.
- Grasp both handles and loop any excess time around each hand to secure it in place.
- Hold onto either side of a deployed resistance band at chest height to do the push-ups and position yourself properly.
- As you start to lower from the top, fight against the tension of the rubber band and ensure that your chest is as close to the floor as possible for a maximized burn.
- For beginners, substituting banded push-ups with regular ones will help them work up to greater depths.
2. Resistance Band Flys
Resistance band flys are a great chest workout for anyone who does not have access to a bench. You can adjust the tension of the band as needed, and in this regard, resistance bands offer similar benefits as free weights and cables but with additional mobility.
Whether you’re just starting a chest routine or want to supplement an existing program, resistance band flys provide excellent results without requiring bulky equipment. This exercise is particularly valuable when muscular balance needs to be addressed or for inexperienced lifters looking for an introduction to chest workouts.
How to Do It?
- For performing this exercise, all you need is a stabilizing anchor point, such as a door handle or wall-mounted pull-up bar, and a set of resistance bands.
- To complete a standing upward chest fly, grasp the handles of the bands at chest height and hold them with your arms extended in front of your chest. For holding the handles, you can use workout gloves for proper grip.
- Open up your arms allowing the handles to go back.
- Once you have reached your maximum mobility, pull the handles back forward to the starting position.
- Focusing on the correct form while doing this exercise can help to improve chest stability, posture, and core strength – making it a compelling choice for any home workout routine.
3. Floor Flys
Floor flys are an excellent exercise to help strengthen your upper body, and they don't require proper gym equipment, making them perfect for executing from the comfort of your home. Floor flys are one of the best choices when doing a chest press without a bench since you can use gravity resistance to create tension on the intended target muscles of your chest and shoulders.
Floor flys are a great way to tone and strengthen your chest muscles without requiring a bench. Floor flys can also be paired with other exercises, such as chest press-ups or pushups, to help build definition in your chest area.
How to Do It?
- Lie on the floor with a neoprene dumbbell in each hand, just slightly bent at your elbows.
- Lower them in an arc-like motion until your elbows are even with your chest, then pause for a brief moment.
- Squeeze the weights back together above you and stop short of ultimately touching to maintain tension in your pectorals throughout the exercise.
- Focus solely on contracting those muscles during this movement as you complete sets according to preference.
- Repeat 8-10 reps for 2-3 sets to complete the workout.
4. Floor Dumbbell Press
Floor Dumbbell Presses is a tremendous chest workout that can be done with dumbbells. This exercise targets your pectoral muscles, increasing strength and definition in your chest. They can be included within a whole-body workout routine or combined with other exercises for an effective standing chest workout.
How to Do It?
- Lie down on the floor, with dumbbells stacked overtop of your shoulder, wrist and elbow.
- Bend your arms on a 45 degree angle from your body.
- Your elbows should tap the ground before returning to the top position.
- Repeat 10-15 times for 3 sets—you'll feel it working immediately!
5. Svend Press
The Svend press focuses on your inner chest muscles, working your shoulders and triceps. Integrating this into your routine can improve muscle hypertrophy and achieve a chiseled look.
The standing squeeze press may not be the best mass-building exercise but it's perfect if you want to warm up or flush at the end of your workout session. Enhance your chest exercise routine with a Svend press.
How to Do It?
- Start by gathering two bumper plates or iron plates and squeezing them together in both hands.
- Pull back on your shoulders, puffing out your chest as you bring the weights to the center of it.
- Launch forward and up with each arm straightening, then flex tight against your chest muscles when pushing backward again for maximum efficiency.
- Follow this motion pattern until you hit the desired number of repetitions!
1. What is the best home chest workout without equipment?
One of the best home chest workouts without equipment is a resistance band flys using resistance bands. This exercise can help improve chest stability, posture, and core strength. You can also do floor flys or lying dumbbell presses as part of your home workout routine.
2. What is the best way to do a chest press without a bench?
The best way to do a chest press without a bench is with floor presses. This exercise targets the pectoral muscles while providing an effective chest workout without a bench.
3. How can I strengthen my chest without weights?
You can strengthen your chest without weights by doing push-ups, triceps dips or using resistance bands for exercises like standing chest flys. These bodyweight exercises will help improve strength in your chest and arms without needing any additional equipment.
4. What should I focus on when doing chest exercises?
When doing chest exercises, it’s essential to focus on form and technique. Make sure you keep your back straight, engage your core and control how fast you move the weights while performing chest lifts and presses.
The Bottom Line
Maximizing your chest gains without a bench doesn’t have to be a daunting task. You can challenge your muscles with the right exercises and push them to new heights for bigger pecs. The five workouts presented in this article are some of the best ways to do them.
From floor flys and Svend Presses to resistance band flys, there is an activity for everyone to help strengthen and tone their chest muscles. With proper form and technique, these chest workouts without a bench can target all the same muscle groups as traditional chest exercises.
Don't let a lack of gym equipment hold you back—start getting creative with your at-home chest workouts now! Get the most out of your workout and unlock all-new levels of strength, power, and endurance. You don't need fancy machinery to get those toned pecs you've been dreaming about!