Indulge in the scrumptiousness of this delightful apple and almond cake, perfect to satiate your sweet tooth and fill your cake tin with its alluring aroma. This cake is an absolute winner for those who follow a dairy-free or vegan diet, crafted to tickle your taste buds with every bite.
Imagine the sweet fragrance of freshly baked apples mingling with the nutty crunch of almonds, all perfectly blended into a fluffy cake that will make you crave more. And what's more, it's an ideal treat to relish over a steaming cuppa during lazy afternoons, transporting you to a world of sheer delight with every heavenly morsel.
So why wait? Get your baking gloves on and whip up this toothsome delight to impress your loved ones, or savour it all by yourself—after all, there's no harm in pampering your taste buds once in a while!
Servings 8 Persons
Preparation Time 20 Minutes
Baking Time 60 Minutes
Total Time 80 Minutes
Calories 445 kcal
Protein 6 g
Carbs 67 g
Fat 16 g
- 150g melted dairy-free spread, plus extra for greasing the cake tin
- 300ml oat milk
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 350g self-raising flour + 1 tablespoon reserved for coating the apples
- 100g caster sugar
- 100g light brown soft sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 300g apples, peeled and chopped into small cubes
- 2 tablespoons almond flakes
- First, use some dairy-free spread to generously butter a 20cm deep cake tin. Line it with baking parchment and set it aside.
- Preheat your oven to 180°C/160°C fan/gas mark 4.
- Pour the oat milk into a measuring jug, add the lemon juice, and let the mixture sit for 5 minutes at room temperature. This will cause it to thicken slightly.
- Combine the self-raising flour, caster sugar, light brown soft sugar, and baking powder in a large mixing bowl.
- Pour the thickened oat milk mixture and almond extract over the dry ingredients. Add the melted dairy-free spread and a pinch of salt.
- Use an electric whisk to beat everything together until you have a smooth, creamy cake batter.
- Toss the chopped apples with a tablespoon of reserved flour in a separate bowl to coat them evenly.
- Using a spatula, fold the apple pieces into the cake batter.
- Spoon the mixture into the prepared cake tin and smooth the top with the spatula. Sprinkle the flaked almonds over the batter.
- Bake the cake in the centre of the preheated oven for 1 to 1 1/4 hours or until it is golden brown and firm to the touch.
- Let the cake cool in the tin for a few minutes before turning it onto a wire rack. You can serve it warm or let it cool completely.
Now, if you want to serve it immediately, you can top it with the topping of your choice, including vegan whipped cream, vegan caramel, apple puree, chopped almonds, and so on. Or, you can store it in an airtight container once it is cool for up to three days. This cake is perfect for afternoon tea or as a sweet treat any time of the day!