Servings 8 Persons
Preparation Time 20 Minutes
Baking Time 40 Minutes
Total Time 60 Minutes
Nothing screams comfort on a chilly evening like a warm and hearty bowl of chicken noodle soup. And while the classic recipe has been a staple in home kitchens for generations, sometimes a little update is necessary. That's where this healthy upgrade comes in—low-sodium chicken broth, whole-wheat egg noodles, and tons of vegetables add a nutritious twist to this classic soup.
And don't worry about sacrificing flavor; the homemade stock flavor is achieved by adding bone-in chicken breasts to the broth before adding the rest of the ingredients. So cozy up with a bowl of this delicious and healthy soup, and feel good about what you're putting into your body.
Calories 274 cal
Protein 26 g
Carbs 25 g
Fat 7 g
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 2 large cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme or 1 teaspoon dried 1 bay leaf
- 8 cups low-sodium chicken broth
- 2 pounds bone-in chicken breasts without skin
- 2 cups sliced celery
- 2 cups sliced carrots
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 ¼ teaspoons salt
- ½ teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 cups cooked whole-wheat egg noodles
- ¼ cup chopped fresh parsley
- Heat oil in a big pot at medium heat. Add the onion and garlic, and simmer for 2 to 3 minutes while stirring regularly until soft. Cook for one minute while tossing in the thyme and bay leaf.
- Add chicken and broth. Cover, turn the heat up to high, and simmer. Once the thickest part of the chicken has reached 165 °F, remove the cover and continue to cook it, rotating it occasionally for 20 to 22 minutes.
- As the chicken cooks, remove any foam from the top. Take the chicken and place it on a new cutting board. Remove the meat off the bones when it is cool enough to handle, then shred it.
- Add celery, carrots, and peas to the saucepan in the interim; simmer once more. Cook for 4 to 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft. Cook for another 3 minutes, stirring in the noodles, salt, and pepper after shredding the chicken. Top with parsley.