Low Carb Recipes
Servings 4 Persons
Preparation Time 20 Minutes
Baking Time 25 Minutes
Total Time 45 Minutes
Who doesn't love a good casserole? This chicken fajita casserole is sure to become a family favorite. Classic fajita veggies and chicken thighs combine with corn tortillas and spices for a one-skillet meal that will save you time and clean up.
Best of all, you can easily swap in chicken breast or leftover chicken if that's what you have on hand. Customize your toppings with sour cream, avocado, salsa, or chopped tomato, and you've got a delicious dinner that everyone will love.
Calories 474 cal
Protein 31 g
Carbs 25 g
Fat 28 g
- 3 tablespoons avocado oil
- 1 large red bell pepper, sliced
- 1 large yellow bell pepper, sliced
- 1 medium onion, halved and sliced
- 4 teaspoons chili powder
- 2 ½ teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 ¼ teaspoons garlic powder
- ¾ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground pepper
- 2 ½ cups sliced cooked chicken thighs
- 1 tablespoon lime juice
- 6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, halved and cut into 1-inch strips
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese blend
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Heat oil in a large ovenproof skillet over medium heat.
- Add red and yellow peppers and onion; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Combine chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Set aside 1 teaspoon of the spice mixture and sprinkle the rest over the vegetables.
- Continue cooking and stirring until the vegetables are softened, about 4 minutes.
- In a medium bowl, combine cooked chicken and the reserved spice mix.
- Add the chicken to the skillet and cook for 2 minutes or until warm.
- Remove from heat and stir in lime juice.
- Gently stir in tortilla strips and sprinkle with cheese.
- Transfer to the oven and bake for 15 to 20 minutes, until the casserole is hot and the cheese is melted.