You know the saying, "you eat with your eyes first?" Well, I couldn’t agree more with this.
I mean who doesn't love to eat food that’s not just delicious, but also beautifully presented?
There's something about seeing a meal artfully arranged on a plate that makes it even more appetizing. And when the food tastes as good as it looks? That's the best kind of dining experience!
Scallop ceviche is just one of those seafood dishes that always hits the spot. There is something so refreshing about the zesty flavour in it, that gives you all the summer vibes.
Scallops are one of the most versatile seafood options; whether you want to serve it as an appetizer, main or side, this beautiful seafood is the perfect choice.
And here is my favourtie seafood recipe for scallop ceviche. We will be marinating beautiful scallops in lots of lime because I just love how the limes add the perfect tanginess while maintaining the delicate flavors and giving you that perfect taste of summer with a tingling sensation.
So start squeezing all those limes and get ready for a perfect treat this summer!
4 - 8 Hours
Total Time Needed
4 - 8 Hours and 5 Minutes
- 1 lb bay scallops (these are small scallops, roughly the size of a marble)
- Juice of 6 limes (just enough to cover scallops – you can use lemons if you prefer)
- ½ cup chopped red onion
- 1 medium tomato
- 1 stalk of celery
- 2 tbsp of capers
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1 tbsp ground black pepper (or to taste)
- First, rinse the scallops and place them in a non-reactive large bowl (i.e. glass, ceramic or stainless steel – not aluminium).
- Add lime juice, just enough to make sure all the scallops are well coated.
- Then cover the bowl with cling film and refrigerate them for 4 - 8 hours. This will “cook” the scallops without using heat.
- While the scallops are marinating, chop the onions, tomatoes, and celery into small pieces.
- Once the scallops have finished marinating, add these vegetables to the bowl along with the capers, olive oil, salt, and pepper.
- Give everything a good stir and taste to see if you need to adjust the seasoning.
- Serve the dish immediately while its still cold. It tastes best when served fresh and chilled!
Tips and Tricks for the Perfect Scallop Ceviche
Even though making ceviche is one of the easiest recipes to make with the simplest of ingredients, it can get a little tricky at some points.
To enjoy clean flavours in your dish, here are some of my tips and tricks for you:
- Always make sure that the scallops are fresh. There is nothing better than fresh scallops! Frozen just doesn't have that perfect flavour to it.
- Secondly, use the bay scallops. They are easy to cook, have a slightly sweet flavour to them, and are less likely to break into mush.
- Third, it's important that when you’re cooking this dish, make sure that you cut the scallops in thin circles using the sharpest of your knives. Having even and thinly sliced scallops will not just make your dish look pretty and allow you to set it up in the best manner but it will ensure that your scallops are cooked evenly.
- Fourth, even though I like the zesty and tangy flavour of fresh lime juice, you can use lemons, grapefruit, or whatever citrus you have in your kitchen.
- Lastly, everyone has a different liking for the seasonings, so keep tasting your dish to ensure the perfect amount of salt and pepper.
Why Scallops Is the Best Choice for Ceviche?
Going through this recipe, you must be wondering why did I choose scallops for this dish? Well, this all that I know about scallops and this is why I chose this particular seafood.
Scallops are an excellent choice for ceviche because of their firm texture and delicate flavor. When cooked, scallops retain their shape and do not become mushy like other seafood options. This makes them ideal for dishes like ceviche, where a firm texture is desired.
There are many benefits to eating scallops, including their nutritional value. Scallops are a good source of protein, vitamin B12, iron, and magnesium. They also contain omega-3 fatty acids, which are beneficial for heart health.
Additionally, scallops are low in calories and fat. This makes them a healthy choice for those looking to lose weight or maintain a healthy weight. Scallops are also a good source of antioxidants and have anti-inflammatory properties.
These qualities make scallops beneficial for overall health and well-being. Additionally, scallops are a delicious and versatile seafood option that can be enjoyed in a variety of dishes.
Scallops can be baked, grilled, sauteed, or even eaten raw. This versatility makes them a great option for those who enjoy eating seafood. Whether you're looking for a healthy meal option or a delicious seafood dish, scallops are a great choice.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. How long is scallop ceviche good for?
Scallop ceviche is an excellent dish for the summers, be it served as an apetizer or main. Unfortunately, given the summer season and the heat throughout the day, it is important that you consume the fish within 24 hours.
Fish meat generally gets spoiled faster then meat, and since we are using raw fish for this dish and are only cooking it using lime, it is extremely important to make sure that you consume the dish within 24hrs.
To ensure that the dish is safe to consume look out for any fowl fish smell or discoloration; these are major red flags and the fish must be tossed out otherwise you’ll risk getting food poisoning.
2. How long should ceviche marinate for?
Ceviche is basically any fish that is cooked using citrus and has a tangy flavour to it, and marination generally depends on the kind of fish you are using, how thick or thin it’s cut and how tangy you want it to be.
Since in this particular recipe we are making bay scallop ceviche, we need to make sure that the scallops are cut into really thin and even slices so that the tanginess of the lime can soak through it perfectly.
Marinating the scallop ceviche for anywhere between 4 to 8 hours will make sure that the fish is cooked through properly and gets infused with the lime taste for that perfect light and refreshing flavours.
3. Can you eat raw scallop ceviche?
Ceviche is basically a South American seafood dish, that has originated from the modern day Peru, and is typically made with raw fish.
Scallop ceviche as per tradition is cooked using citrus juices. Even though many people still consider it to be raw, it technically isn't.
When you marinate the scallops in lime juices for 4 - 8 hours, it not just turns transparent, but this marination kills out all the bacteria that may be hazaourdous for you or your digestive system.
So, yes, you can eat raw scallop ceviche without any worries.
4. What is the best fish for ceviche?
The best kind of fish that you can use for ceviche is White fish; it can be mahi mahi, bay scallops, cod, sea brass, etc.
Since bay scallops are beginner friendly and easy to handle, they are considered a good option.
Scallop ceviche is a light and refreshing seafood dish that is perfect for the summer. It is easy to make and can be served as an appetizer or main course. To make the perfect scallop ceviche, it is important to use fresh ingredients, cook the scallops properly, and season to taste. With a little bit of planning, you can make a delicious and healthy scallop ceviche that your whole family will enjoy.
FITNESS FOR EVERYONE
Join our exclusive Facebook Community!
DMoose community is the place for all your fitness needs. We aim to give you the best tips in health, fitness, and wellness to live a healthy and balanced life.