A more muscular chest, shoulders, and triceps are excellent ways to perform better in many activities. A study suggests that strengthening these muscle groups can help you improve your posture, increase your strength and power, and improve your overall athletic performance.
You can also reduce the risk of injury and make everyday activities like carrying groceries and pushing open doors easier. So, developing these muscles can help you to build a balanced physique and look better. Do you want to enhance those already-built triceps, shoulders, and chest? If yes, then giant sets are a great way to build them.
The giant sets combine four or more exercises by working the same muscle group or opposing groups in the same set. It allows for a more intense workout and more volume in a shorter period. So, incorporating giant sets in your workout routine can help to increase muscle size and strength by forcing the muscle to work harder. And you can also increase the workout's intensity and help break through plateaus.
The Ultimate Giant Sets for Stronger Chest, Shoulders & Triceps Chest
Going big is the name of this upper body game! These three giant sets, focus on building muscle in the chest, shoulders, or triceps—with no rest between exercises within a set. To boot, you will only take 90 seconds before starting your next set, which means that you are working hard and burning fat at an epic rate during it all.
GIANT SET #1
A1 - Barbell Bench Press - 3 x 8
A2 - Lateral Raises - 3 x 12
A3 - Triceps Cable Rope Pushdown - 3 x 15
A4 - Dips - 3 x AMRAP (as many reps as possible)
90 second REST
Barbell Bench Press
The barbell bench press is an excellent compound exercise for the triceps, shoulders, and chest that increases the upper body's strength, power, and endurance. If you want to build more muscle mass and improve posture, then a giant-set barbell bench press is a perfect fit.
The steps to perform the barbell bench press for the chest are as follows:
- Lie on a flat bench with a barbell above your chest.
- Now grasp the barbell with your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and unrack the barbell.
- Lower the barbell with a controlled motion to your chest.
- Pause briefly before driving the barbell back up to the starting position.
According to a study, lateral raises are a fantastic way to strengthen, tone, and increase the size of your shoulder muscles. It helps to improve your posture by strengthening and toning your muscles in the upper body. Moreover, it can help improve your overall strength, balance, and coordination, using your core muscles to stabilize yourself during the movement.
The steps to perform Lateral raise for the triceps are:
- Stand straight with your feet open and shoulder-width apart and your arms at your sides.
- Then hold a pair of hex dumbbells in each hand.
- Start the exercise by raising your arms to the sides until they parallel to the floor. Keep your elbows slightly bent and your palms facing the floor.
- Gradually lower the dumbbells back to the initial position.
Triceps Cable Rope Pushdown
Triceps pushdowns help build strength, increase size, and improve muscle tone of the triceps.
To start the cable rope for the triceps:
- Attach the rope to a cable machine, and stand in front of it with your arms straight out.
- From there, pull the rope down towards your thighs while keeping your arms close to your body.
- Slowly let the rope attachment back up to the starting position before doing another rep.
Dips are an excellent exercise for strengthening and toning the triceps, shoulders, and chest. The primary benefit of dips is increased strength and muscle growth. Doing multiple sets of dips also allows you to target different parts of the muscles, which is beneficial for overall development.
Dips not only improve posture and balance but also improve cardiovascular fitness.
Following are the steps to perform dips for the chest:
- Stand between the bars of a dip station.
- Place your hands on the bars, shoulder width apart, and lift yourself off the ground.
- Bend your elbows to lower your body until your arms are at a 90-degree angle.
- Pause for a second, then press yourself back up until your arms are fully extended.
GIANT SET #2
A1 - Incline Dumbbell Press - 3 x 8
A2 - Cable Fly - 3 x 12
A3 - Arnold Press - 3 x 8
A4 - Close Grip Bench Press - 3 x 10
90 second REST
Incline Dumbbell Press
The incline dumbbell press is an effective exercise for sculpting and strengthening the chest, shoulders, and triceps. It is a powerful compound exercise that focuses on strength and stability for all three muscle groups. When performed correctly, it can help to improve posture, balance, and overall shoulder health.
The steps to perform a incline dumbbell press are as follows:
- Lay flat on an incline bench with your feet planted on the floor. Hold dumbbells directly above your chest, with your arms fully extended and palms facing forward.
- Keep your core tight and your back pressed against the bench.
- From here, slowly lower the weights to your chest, keeping your elbows close to your body.
- Once you reach the bottom, press the dumbbells upward with explosive force.
Cable Pec Fly
Cable pec fly is an ideal exercise for increasing strength and promoting balance and stability by keeping the body in control throughout the entire movement. The Cable Pec fly targets the chest and shoulder muscles.
The steps to follow the cable pec fly are as follows:
- Start by attaching a single handle to the pulley of a cable machine.
- Position the cable handles on the outside of your shoulders, then hold the handle with your hands.
- Step forwards a few feet from the machine, so there is tension on the cable.
- Keep your chest up and arms slightly bent. Pull the cable across your body to the center line. Contract your chest hard.
- Slowly return them back to the starting position before performing another rep.
The Arnold Press is a fantastic exercise for anyone looking to build up their shoulder muscles and triceps. It also helps to engage the core muscles and can help improve stability, balance, and posture. To perform the Arnold Press:
- Hold a pair of dumbbells and sit on a bench or stand with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Start with moving the dumbbells in front of your shoulders & your palms must be facing you.
- From there, press the weights up until your arms are fully extended.
- As you are pressing the weights up, rotate your hands out so that your palms are facing away from you at the top of the press.
- Reverse the motion, rotating your hands as you lower the weights back to the initial position.
Close-Grip Bench Press
The close-grip bench press allows for a more efficient workout and simultaneously stimulates muscle growth in all these muscle groups. Moreover, it helps improve the scapula's stability and shoulder mobility. It also helps to strengthen the chest muscles.
Hence it is a great way to develop strength, improve muscle endurance and build muscle mass in the triceps, shoulders, and chest.
Following are the steps to perform a close-grip bench press for shoulders:
- Lie on an adjustable bench and place your feet on the floor, then press your head and shoulders against the bench.
- Grasp the barbell with a close grip, keeping your wrists in line with your forearms.
- Now lift the barbell and position it over your chest. Slowly lower the barbell to your chest, keeping your elbows close to your sides.
- Push the barbell up and away from your chest, extending your arms. And then, again, lower the barbell back to your chest and repeat the movement.
GIANT SET #3
A1 - Barbell Military Press - 3 x 8
A2 - Upright Row - 3 x 15
A3 - Tricep Push Ups - 3 x 10
A4 - Pec Dec - 3 x 12
90 second REST
Barbell Military Press
The barbell military press is an effective exercise for developing overall strength, power, and muscular endurance by increasing shoulder mobility and stability. Military press not only helps to improve posture but can also help to engage the stabilizing muscles around the shoulder by giving you a well-defined, muscular physique.
Following are the steps to perform a Barbell military press for the chest:
- Begin by standing in front of a barbell, your feet shoulder-width apart and your toes slightly pointed out.
- Grasp the barbell with your hands slightly wider than shoulder-width apart and your palms facing forward.
- Now lift the barbell to your chest and press it over your head while keeping your back straight and your core tight.
- Pause at the top of the movement before lowering the barbell to your chest.
The upright row is a superb exercise to increase shoulder strength and stability, which can help reduce the risk of a shoulder injury. Moreover, the upright row can help improve shoulder mobility, posture, and overall sports performance.
To perform an upright row:
- Start by standing with feet shoulder-width apart and holding a barbell or pair of dumbbells with an overhand grip.
- Keep your arms in line with your shoulders and wrists straight.
- Lift the barbell or dumbbells toward the chin, focusing on engaging the shoulder muscles.
- Once the barbell or dumbbells have been lifted to the chin level, hold this position for a few seconds while squeezing the shoulder muscles.
- Slowly lower the barbell or dumbbell back down to the starting position, controlling the weight as you go.
Tricep pushups are a great way to target the muscles in your triceps, giving them an intense workout. Tricep pushups are also beneficial for increasing arm size and definition if performed regularly with varying rep ranges. These pushups should be incorporated into an exercise routine to maximize the potential benefits of each workout.
How to Do It?
- To properly do a tricep pushup, you need to start in a standard plank position before bending the elbows to lower the body towards the floor.
- Keep the arms close on sides and offer stability with your core as you perform each rep.
- By targeting this particular muscle group with tricep pushups, you can build strong arms while working on shoulder strength and stability.
The Pec Dec machine is an ideal exercise for increasing strength and promoting balance in the chest by keeping the body in a controlled and stable position throughout the entire movement. The Pec Dec targets primarily the chest and shoulder muscles.
The steps to follow the giant-set cable pec fly for the shoulder are as follows:
- Start by sitting in a pec dec machine.
- Grab hold of the handles and place your forearms against the pads.
- Close the handles and pads together using your chest muscles.
- Slowly let the attachments back to the starting position before doing another rep.
It is an effective exercise regimen to bulk up the chest, shoulders, and triceps. The program provides a comprehensive upper body workout that targets all three muscle groups in a single session. These giant sets are intense and require significant levels of focus and dedication.
The program best suits experienced exercisers and athletes who want to push themselves to their limits. During the exercise, a good amount of rest between sets and a commitment is required to ensure proper form and technique.
It is a challenging yet rewarding program that can help individuals to achieve more significant muscle growth and size. With consistent effort and dedication, individuals can expect to see noticeable results within a few weeks.
- Demirtaş, Barbaros, et al. “The Effect of Three Different Sets Method Used in Resistance Training on Hypertrophy and Maximal Strength Changes.” Physical Education of Students, vol. 26, no. 6, Nov. 2022, pp. 270–79. www.sportedu.org.ua, https://doi.org/10.15561/20755279.2022.0601
- Coratella, Giuseppe, et al. “An Electromyographic Analysis of Lateral Raise Variations and Frontal Raise in Competitive Bodybuilders.” International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health, vol. 17, no. 17, Jan. 2020, p. 6015. www.mdpi.com, https://doi.org/10.3390/ijerph17176015.