Bodyweight exercises for weight loss are an excellent option for those looking to lose weight quickly and effectively. They require no equipment and can be completed in the comfort of your home or wherever you can access a flat surface and some space.
This makes them accessible to people of all fitness levels, from beginners who are just starting their health journey to seasoned gym-goers who want to add an extra challenge.
With home gym workouts for weight loss, you can target specific body parts and gain control over your fitness journey. The best part is that no matter how fast or slow you go, these exercises will help you reach your weight loss goals quickly and safely.
This article discusses the top eight bodyweight exercises for weight loss and how you can do them.
Related Article: Top 25 At-Home Exercises for Beginners
Top 8 Bodyweight Exercises for Weight Loss
Simple and quick bodyweight exercises can help you burn fat fast and efficiently by elevating your heart rate, increasing muscle mass, and improving calorie expenditure.
So if you want to take control of your weight loss journey, fast bodyweight exercises are the way to go.
Push-ups are one of the best bodyweight exercises for weight loss that can help you tone your body. They are an excellent exercise for beginners as they can be performed with little to no equipment.
Push-ups can work all the major muscles in your body. They can be done anywhere and anytime, making them a great exercise for home or on the go.
How to Do It
- Get down on all fours and position both hands significantly wider than the shoulders to perform a push-up.
- Your elbows should remain slightly bent, so avoid locking them out.
- Legs back, feet hip-width apart, get into a balanced position by extending them. Here is how to perform a push-up after you are in this posture.
- Bringing the belly button closer to the spine can strengthen your core and contract the abs.
- Take a breath in as you gradually drop yourself to the ground with your elbows bent until they form a 90-degree angle.
- Exhale, then push back up through your hands to the starting position by tightening your chest muscles.
Burpees are a bodyweight exercise that helps burn calories and lose weight quickly. This full body exercise effectively strengthens the core muscles, making it an ideal exercise for those who wish to slim down their waistline.
A large-scale study published in 2015 found that people who engage in vigorous exercise tend to live longer. But that's not the only benefit of adding burpees to your workout routine.
Not only are they incredibly effective in building strength and muscle, but burpees also work wonders for improving your cardiovascular endurance, balance, coordination, and agility.
How to Do It
- To perform this challenging exercise, begin standing with your feet shoulder-width apart.
- Lower your body into a squat position.
- Then quickly jump up and spread your arms and legs outwards into a plank.
- Jump back to a squat position and stand up tall.
- Repeat for the desired number of reps.
3. Traveling Plank
The traveling plank is one of the bodyweight exercises to lose weight and gain muscle. This exercise requires no equipment, so it can quickly be done at home or on the go. Try adding this bodyweight exercise to your routine for a great workout!
How to Do It
- To do this exercise, start standing tall.
- Reach down and walk your hand out until you come to a plank position.
- Then walk your hands back to the starting position and stand tall.
4. Walking Lunges With a Twist
Walking Lunges with a Twist is another fast-paced bodyweight exercise for weight loss that will increase your heart rate while you tone and strengthen your muscles. With this bodyweight exercise, you can achieve fast weight loss results while toning and strengthening your body using weights.
How to Do It
- To perform this exercise, begin by standing up straight and stepping forward with one foot.
- Allow the toes of the back foot to touch the ground lightly.
- Make sure your body is straight, and core braced.
- Push off with your front foot and bend both knees, bringing your body into a lunge position.
- Twist your torso to one side while keeping your body straight; hold this position for three seconds before pushing off with your front foot and returning to the starting position.
- Repeat the exercise on each side for a full body workout to help you reach your fitness goals.
5. Jump Squats
Jump squats are an effective and quick bodyweight exercise for weight loss. The jump squats are a perfect addition to any weight loss workout plan for beginners at home. Jump squats involve repeatedly jumping up while in a squat position. It helps build strength and endurance.
A jump squat routine can be done every other day, with 1-3 sets of 10-20 reps for each session. As you become stronger and more experienced, you can increase the intensity by adding weights or using jump squats as part of a circuit training program. Make sure to stretch before and after jump squats to warm up and cool down your muscles.
How to Do It
- Start by standing with your feet slightly wider than shoulder-width apart to do jump squats.
- Lower into a deep squat position, engaging your core and keeping your chest up and shoulders back.
- Next, jump up explosively as high as possible while extending your arms in front of you.
- Land softly in the starting position and repeat the jump squats for the desired reps.
6. Mountain Climbers
Mountain climbers are an effective tool for weight loss for bodyweight exercises, as they engage all of the major muscle groups in the body while providing a cardiovascular challenge. When done regularly, mountain climbers can help you burn calories, tone your muscles and strengthen your heart.
How to Do It
- To perform mountain climbers, start by getting into a plank position on the floor.
- Bring one of your knees forward towards your chest and back to the starting position.
- Repeat this motion for 30 seconds and switch legs.
7. Bicycle Crunch
The bicycle crunch is an excellent exercise for weight loss as it helps target your core muscles while burning excess fat in the abdominal area. This exercise works the upper and lower abdominal muscles, helping tone your entire midsection.
How to Do It
- To perform a bicycle crunch, start by lying on your back with your knees bent and feet flat on the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head, elbows bent.
- Lift your shoulders off the floor and crunch forward as you bring one knee towards the opposite elbow.
- Hold for a few seconds before returning to the starting position and alternate sides.
8. Crab Walk
The crab walk is a practical no equipment workout for weight loss. It helps in improving overall body strength and stability, which can aid in decreasing body fat percentages. It emphasizes your core, shoulders, arms, and legs while also strengthening the muscles of your chest, back, and abdomen.
Do 3-4 sets of the crab walk for best results. With practice, you can gradually increase the time or number of sets as your strength and endurance improve.
How to Do It
- To perform the crab walk: start on the ground on all fours, with your hands and feet shoulder-width apart.
- Raise your hips until they align with your shoulders and knees.
- Lift one foot off the ground and move it forward next to the other foot, then do the same with the opposite hand.
- Keep repeating this motion while maintaining a tight core and tension.
- It is essential to keep your hips up, your back flat, and your core engaged throughout the entire exercise.
Related Article: Fat Loss Workouts and Diet Program
The Bottom Line
These fast bodyweight exercises require no equipment and use the weight of your own body to provide resistance. That makes them ideal for those who want to achieve noticeable results on a budget. Squats, burpees, mountain climbers, and lunges are some of the most popular fast bodyweight exercises for weight loss that can help you burn fat and build muscle.
Adding these quick bodyweight exercises to your workout regimen is an excellent way to transform your body and jumpstart your weight loss journey. With the right attitude and dedication, bodyweight exercises can help you reach your goals in no time.
- Escamilla, Rafael F., et al. “Muscle Activation Among Supine, Prone, and Side Position Exercises With and Without a Swiss Ball.” Sports Health, vol. 8, no. 4, July 2016, pp. 372–79. PubMed, https://doi.org/10.1177/1941738116653931.
- Gebel, Klaus, et al. “Effect of Moderate to Vigorous Physical Activity on All-Cause Mortality in Middle-Aged and Older Australians.” JAMA Internal Medicine, vol. 175, no. 6, June 2015, pp. 970–77. PubMed, https://doi.org/10.1001/jamainternmed.2015.0541.
- Songsorn, Preeyaphorn, et al. “The Effect of Whole-Body High-Intensity Interval Training on Heart Rate Variability in Insufficiently Active Adults.” Journal of Exercise Science and Fitness, vol. 20, no. 1, Jan. 2022, pp. 48–53. PubMed, https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jesf.2021.10.003.