Are you looking to shape up your glutes in 2023? Want to know the best butt exercises for women? With many exercises available to tone and strengthen your glutes, it can be hard to know where to start. To make life easier, we have compiled a list of our top picks for the best butt exercises for women in 2023!
These exercises target your gluteal muscles and help you achieve the toned backside you want. From squats and lunges to hip thrusts and cable pull-throughs, these moves will shape your booty in no time!
So if you’re ready to get serious about sculpting your glutes this year, here are some of the best butt exercises you can try in 2023.
Are Butt Exercises Better Than Squats?
Although squats are often considered the best butt exercise, it’s important to remember that various exercises can help you achieve your goals. Not only do different exercises target different muscles, but they also provide variation in your workout routine and keep you fresh throughout the day. So while squats have their benefits, there is no one best butt exercise.
Plus, if you’re looking for exercises designed to shape and tone your glutes at home without equipment, the best butt exercises for women may not necessarily include squats or lunges.
Some of the best buttocks exercises don’t require any weights or machines! Keep reading to learn more about our top picks for the best butt exercises women can do at home and the benefits you can indulge in while doing these exercises.
Related Article: Hip Circle Bands: Strengthen Your Glutes With These Simple DIY Bands
Benefits of Butt Exercises
Regularly performing butt exercises can be incredibly beneficial for overall health and well-being. With stronger glutes come stronger leg muscles, enabling you to perform better at running, cycling, or other exercises.
Additionally, buttocks exercises will help boost your metabolism by burning off fat in the area, which further leads to improved muscle definition. Moreover, butt exercises will provide you with the following benefits:
Improve Posture and Balance
Butt exercises can help improve your posture and balance, which can benefit everyday activities. Regularly performing butt exercises can reduce the risk of injury, especially for activities requiring quick movement or stability.
Reduce Back Pain
Butt exercises can also help relieve stress on the lower back and improve flexibility in the spine and hips. This helps reduce chronic pain associated with poor posture and muscular imbalances.
Strong glutes are essential for more muscular overall body strength, especially when it comes to walking, running, and jumping. Doing butt exercises regularly will help you build muscle and protect your joints from injury during physical activity.
Working out your glutes strengthens the muscles that control movements such as standing up, balancing on one leg, or walking up stairs. As your glutes become stronger, your coordination and balance will improve.
An often overlooked benefit of butt exercises is improved circulation. Targeting the glutes and other muscles in the buttocks can help boost your circulation throughout the body. Regularly engaging in these exercises helps improve blood flow to major organs, muscles, and tissues elsewhere in the body.
By promoting healthy blood flow to the muscles in that area, butt exercises help aid recovery and reduce soreness after physical activity.
Promotes a Better Physique
Last, butt exercises can help you achieve a more toned physique. These exercises target the glute muscles to create a better definition while helping to burn fat. Regular butt workouts improve your overall health and well-being and give your figure a desirable shape!
8 Best Butt Exercises to Try Now
It's no secret that having a strong and toned butt is important for your overall fitness. But finding the best exercises to target your glutes can be difficult.
Luckily, plenty of exercises are designed to strengthen and tone your glutes, from squats and lunges to hip thrusts and donkey kicks. Here are 8 of the best butt exercises you should consider trying in 2023.
1. Bird Dog
Take your workout to the next level with this exercise that strengthens your lower back and glutes.
- First, get in a four-point stance on a yoga mat with aligned hips and shoulders and a flat back.
- Keep a neutral neck position throughout.
- Extend one arm forward while pushing the other leg behind until they are parallel from the ground for 2-3 seconds before switching sides.
- Repeat 8-12 reps on each side for 2-3 sets of this powerful move!
Lunges are undeniably one of the most effective exercises for toning your glutes. The staggered stance helps stabilize your body, requiring you to use more force from your glutes. This position also forces other muscles, including hamstrings, quads, and calves, into action!
- Start at a 3 feet distance with one foot forward and another back, then slowly bend both knees and lunge straight down.
- Make sure not to lean over your toes but keep the front heel on the ground throughout the process.
- Enhancing the intensity of your glute and thigh muscles can be quickly done with lunges.
- To start, press into your heel to stand for 1-3 sets of 12-16 reps; incorporate weights if you want an added challenge!
- Lunging variations are endless, too - elevate your back foot on a step or platform to target both legs effectively.
3. Donkey Kicks
Get set to feel the burn in your gluteus maximus and core by properly performing this move.
- Begin on all fours with wrists below shoulders, knees beneath hips, tummy tight, spine neutral (no arch), and bent at 90 degrees.
- Then activate your glutes as you elevate one heel behind yourself until your thigh is nearly parallel to the ground.
- Come back carefully to the initial position for 1 rep.
- Continue 15-20 times before switching sides; commence with two sets on each side, then build up gradually to three or four.
4. Fire Hydrants
Fire hydrants are another best butt exercise that helps you keep your butts uplifted and strengthen the glutes.
- Get on all your fours, ensuring that your knees and hips are aligned and your hands and shoulders.
- Activate your core muscles for stability and maintain a neutral neck position by letting yourself gaze straight down.
- Keeping the 90-degree angle of the bent knee constant throughout the exercise, contract your glutes to lift one leg at approximately 45 degrees above ground level.
- Return it to its starting place; this counts toward one rep - aim for 8–12 reps with 2–3 sets on both sides!
- For extra difficulty, you can add loop bands into the mix!
5. Squat Pile Raise
This exercise is an excellent way to strengthen and tone your glutes and engage the entire lower body for increased stability.
- Start in a wide stance with your toes pointed outwards.
- Squat down to 90 degrees and hold this position.
- From here raise onto your toes to perform a calf raise.
- Complete 10-15 reps of this. Hold the squat the entire duration of the reps.
6. Ski Hops
This cardio-focused exercise is excellent for any fitness level and will have you feeling the burn in your glutes and your cardiovascular system.
- Begin with feet hip-width apart and slightly bend the knees.
- Next, jump onto one foot while bringing the other leg out to the side, like performing an exaggerated ski turn.
- Repeat on the other side as soon as you land back onto both feet!
- Aim for 20-25 reps each set with 2-3 sets; you may also increase the intensity by adding resistance loop bands or adjustable dumbbells to make your workout more challenging.
7. Glute Bridge
Glute bridges are undeniably an excellent exercise for everyone, regardless of their fitness level. This move mimics more complex exercises and can be done with a hex dumbbell or a resistance band.
- To get started, lie on your back with your knees bent and arms at either side.
- With a rubber hex dumbbell in hand, hold it across the crease of your hip.
- Keep your feet about 12 to 16 inches away from your buttocks.
- Press the heels into the ground and engage abdominal muscles while pushing up the pelvis by contracting gluteal muscles firmly.
- Make sure your chest doesn't lift during this exercise.
- Hold for two seconds, then lower your hips to complete one repetition!
- Repeat 8-12 times, doing 2 or 3 sets as desired.
8. Squat and Kick
This exercise is a great way to target the glutes and legs!
- Start in a squat position with feet about hip-width apart.
- Squat down. Your back should be straight, your chest lifted, and your head aligned with your spine.
- From here stand back up and kick forward with one leg.
- Return the kicking leg to the starting position.
- Repeat starting with the squat except kicking with the opposite leg.
- Aim for 15-20 reps per side with 2-3 sets; increase the intensity by adding corporate weights if you want an added challenge!
Related Article: 15 Common Squat Mistakes You Make and How to Avoid Them
1. What are the best butt exercises for men?
Many of the same exercises that work for women can also benefit men. This includes lunges, donkey kicks, and rises & piles. Additionally, squats and hip thrusts are great options for men looking to strengthen their glutes.
2. Are there any bum exercises to get a bigger bum?
Yes! Squats and hip thrusts are practical exercises for building muscle in your glutes. Additionally, exercise machines such as the leg press and cable pull-throughs can help you reach your goal of a bigger bum.
3. What butt exercises should I do in the gym?
If you’re looking for a butt-boosting gym workout, squats, lunges, and hip thrusts are all great options. Additionally, exercise machines such as the leg press and cable pull-throughs can be used to target your glutes even further.
As you can see, there are plenty of butt exercises that you can do to shape up your glutes in 2023. From squat variations and lunges to donkey kicks and rise & piles, these moves will help you get the toned backside you’re looking for. Enjoy the benefits of doing butt exercises without any risk of injury and get a completely toned body! So if you’re ready to start your booty transformation this year, make sure to give these butt exercises a try! Good luck on your fitness journey!